1987 Toyota LE 4x4 Van

General Van Related Chat

Moderators: Simon, DOC

1987 Toyota LE 4x4 Van

Postby highermonkey » Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:51 pm

Hey there all. I am about to drop the hammer on a van ($4000). It appears from the description and the very helpful elderly man who owns it to be in super fine condition. Having gone to great lengths daily (searching nationwide on craigslist and ebay, cars.com etc ...) for the past month trying to find a descent 4x4 version of this van, I have come to the conclusion that they are pretty rare and all the more rare when they are not beat.

The price is at the top of my range, but given the 165,000 miles and extensive records from the first owner and now the second old codger...I feel that I need to jump. I am happy for any rants from all yuuuuussss out there if you got any.

Here is my deal. I want the automatic 'cause my shifting days ended with my 1978 toyota landcrusier wagon and it's trip to Alaska from Los Angeles CA. Three gears and thousands of miles.....Nuts, I know, but everyone feels like Jack London when they are 19. The 4x4 is important for traveling in snow as I will be spending a bunch of time driving the states staring out the window looking for things to photograph. I am a stock photographer, or at least trying to become a successful one . This will be an all seasons kind of travel so I figured having the 4WD would be something I wished I had when I needed it. My question about this "push button" 4WD is whether I can expect it to perform well with relatively mellow off road situations? Lets say I see a lonesome tree out on the horizon, with no apparent road to get me there...without completely trashing whole ecosystems, can I make my own road with this van? Also, lets say that not intentionally I find myself in some more radical 4WD situation. Not boulder climbing, but something in between snowy mountain pass and Utah desert . Will she serve? I would appreciate any helpful advice.

Thanks!

P.S. Given some of the back and forth on the site, when I am in your town shooting, I might have to come over and photograph you with your own beasts! You are characters!
highermonkey

Postby bufferboy » Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:02 pm

Yup, as functional as the 4 high system was in the landcruiser.

Only downside is the lack of low range which is nice sometimes, but a locker $400 or less installed, should help with that.

What was that movie about the three brotheres that took off on a cross country trip, and made a movie of the footage, one turned out to be a producer....... good times, and wish you success.
2005 Suburban Z71 232xxx Runs like a Toyota I <3 an LS
1998 Expedition.. 5.4 Triton ZF6 speed. It won't fucking die
2004 Z71 Suburban 312,xxx also runs similar to a Toy.. Bought it for parts for the 05.
bufferboy
Super Van Guru!

My Vehicles: 2005 Z71 'bourbon. Goes where i point it, and does it well

Postby Calvin349 » Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:11 pm

Sounds like a lot of fun. So my take is yes, you should be able to do the level of off-roading that you are looking at. Be smart and you will have no trouble.

A few suggestions if you like.

Consider a good trans cooler and a trans temp guage. Pushing the auto in an off-road setting can cause a lot of heat since you only have a hi range.

I and probibly everyone here will say get yourself a good electric fan. Maybe a duel fan setup.

And as always good general maintinance

Glad to see another new owner.

Calvin
87 LE 5sp 4WD 184k - 219k. Sammi's, 30" BFG AT's, Warn Hubs, 4.8 gears, a couple of cranks, beat to $#@%. The TURDLE
KE7TWX

I run with scissors.
Calvin349
Van Pro!

Thanks!

Postby highermonkey » Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:08 am

Not afraid to scuff the knuckles while wielding a wrench I am not as knowledgeable about all things automotive as I would like to be. Can you tell me what a Transmission cooler is? Is it like a radiator for the trans? Can you point me towards some visuals. Maybe you know a rig that already has something like that to give me a better idea.....pictures always help me to understand things better. I am like one of Jerry's kids. I am assuming that the Trans temp gauge is a retrofit of some sort? If I got the tools is it something I could probably do myself? Now having heard over and over the cautionary tails of only having the "high range" with the push button 4wd, am I to assume that while having the 4wd engaged, by merely shifting into "2" or "L", I will still have issues with overheating the transmission? Also under what conditions, meaning what kind of "wheelin'" would I find that it might start to overheat the transmission. Lastly your recommendation for the fan...is that to replace the radiator fan? Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. Best!
highermonkey

Locker?

Postby highermonkey » Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:13 am

So I don't know which movie you are talking about with the three brothers, but if you figure it out let me know because it sounds interesting. So I imagine gear "2" for "L" does not qualify as Low range then? Am I going to miss that when trying to climb a rock or in general? Also what is a locker? do you mean like a chest? Is it to add weight? Thanks for your answers!
highermonkey

Postby f_demon » Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:30 am

I think they mean a differential lock, or dif lock.
It is a device used to lock the axes so they turn at the same speed.
Most of the time it is used in situation where the wheels have very little traction. It prevents the wheel with the least resistance from getting all the power and just slipping madly (in the air).
f_demon
Van Aficionado

Postby bufferboy » Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:35 pm

The transfer case is the item that splits the power fore and aft.
Low range is a further reduction of the transmissio in that case.
No, Low or second is not my point of reference.
2004 Z71 Suburban 312,xxx also runs similar to a Toy.. Bought it for parts for the 05.
bufferboy
Super Van Guru!

Postby bufferboy » Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:46 pm

Wild America is the name of the flick
http://wildamerica.warnerbros.com/main.html
Link to the commercial site for it.
all members of our house enjoyed it from me at (then) 33yrs. old to K.C. @ 3 ish yrs. old.
bufferboy
Super Van Guru!

Re: Thanks!

Postby timsrv » Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:12 pm

highermonkey wrote:Can you tell me what a Transmission cooler is? Is it like a radiator for the trans? Can you point me towards some visuals. Maybe you know a rig that already has something like that to give me a better idea.....pictures always help me to understand things better. I am like one of Jerry's kids. I am assuming that the Trans temp gauge is a retrofit of some sort? If I got the tools is it something I could probably do myself? Now having heard over and over the cautionary tails of only having the "high range" with the push button 4wd, am I to assume that while having the 4wd engaged, by merely shifting into "2" or "L", I will still have issues with overheating the transmission? Also under what conditions, meaning what kind of "wheelin'" would I find that it might start to overheat the transmission. Lastly your recommendation for the fan...is that to replace the radiator fan? Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. Best!

I've done this to mine. THIS THREAD has pix and explains what I did. Just remember that all tranny coolers are not created equal. If you get one, be sure to get an aircraft style one like pictured in the link. The ones that look like a curvy tube with a bunch of fins are worthless. Tim
ImageI can't stop collecting vans Image OMG! Help Me!
timsrv
Van Aficionado

My Vehicles: (7) 4wd Toyota vans (9) 2wd Toyota vans.......still looking for more : )

Postby Calvin349 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:59 pm

I think worthless is a little harsh... better than none though if you are going to do it do it right.

There are a lot of threads about electric fans. Yes the intent is to replace the radiator mechanical fan with them.

The modifications are easy to do. You have trans cooler lines on your I am sure but they go to the radiator. Just a re-routing.

Looks like other got to your questions before me fot he most part. You will likely not "wheel" to the point of overheat BUT concern is that you will be in a possition that you NEED you van to work. As in away from civilization. Good to have what protection you can.

Got to run,

Calvin
87 LE 5sp 4WD 184k - 219k. Sammi's, 30" BFG AT's, Warn Hubs, 4.8 gears, a couple of cranks, beat to $#@%. The TURDLE
KE7TWX

I run with scissors.
Calvin349
Van Pro!

Postby timsrv » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:39 pm

Okay, so "worthless" is a little harsh. The correct term would be inefficient. I don't know the exact numbers, but I'm guessing the aircraft style are around 100% more efficient than the other of a similar size. Another thing to consider is the aircraft style (the B&M Supercooler is a good example) are also self regulating. This means they have have an orifice inside that will direct flow of tranny fluid based on viscosity. When the fluid is cold and thicker, it bypasses the cooling fins so it can achieve desired temp faster. Once it gets warm and runny, more of it flows through the orifice and into the cooling area.

Yes the aircraft style cost more (about twice as much), but they work much better. In my opinion, well worth the money. Tim
ImageI can't stop collecting vans Image OMG! Help Me!
timsrv
Van Aficionado

My Vehicles: (7) 4wd Toyota vans (9) 2wd Toyota vans.......still looking for more : )

Re: 1987 Toyota LE 4x4 Van

Postby robotfist » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:57 am

I realize this thread is super old, but I figured I'd ask anyway.

I want to get a transmission cooler for my 1987 LE 4x4 Automatic Van. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction. People recommend the "aircraft style" transmission coolers on here but all the links to pictures are broken. Can anyone post a link or a new pic?

Thanks
robotfist

My Vehicles: 1987 Toyota Van LE 4X4

Postby micah202 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:07 am

the 'aircraft style' is probably what you'd get at any rad shop,it's a universal kit
...you want one that looks like a mini radiator,not a tube with fins on it
micah202
Van Aficionado

My Vehicles: '87cargo4x4 (to restore)-restored but stolen,,

Postby Mog » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:19 am

robotfist wrote:I realize this thread is super old, but I figured I'd ask anyway.

I want to get a transmission cooler for my 1987 LE 4x4 Automatic Van. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction. People recommend the "aircraft style" transmission coolers on here but all the links to pictures are broken. Can anyone post a link or a new pic?

Thanks

Links are broken because they changed the domain name of the site a few years ago (which effectively broke all internal links here). If you use the quote feature on the post with the link, you can copy the url. Then just paste it into your browser and change the toyotavans.net part of the url into toyotavanpeople.com. It's a pain in the ass but it usually works.
Mog
Van Pro!

My Vehicles: 89 Toyota LE 4wd Automatic

Return to Van Discussion